Ok, so you chose to live the “glamorous” life of a freelance graphic designer. Two months later you start realizing there is no such a “glamorous” life when you are a freelance graphic designer, specially if you just started in this world.
How can a freelancer get more work and generate more leads?
Relationships – your clients are one of the most important aspects of your career as a freelancer.
- Be honest to your clients
- Keep in touch with old clients, offer your new services and also revisions of old services
- It’s okay to disagree, but learn to respectfully disagree
- Develop a newsletter
- Don’t be afraid of requesting referrals
Designs – following some simple steps go a long way on the results of your designs.
- Research your options, similar designs and ideas
- Sketch, draw, imagine. Give yourself a little bit of wiggle room to create.
- Have your client in mind when designing, remember they are the ones paying and they are the ones that know their clients.
Time management – you may end up with multiple projects at a time, how you manage to survive and deliver on time.
- Prioritize, organize your work by importance and deadlines
- Eliminate procrastination
- Project management applications can help (yo can find some free ones online)
- If you are too busy, consider outsourcing some designs or works
Sell yourself – to reach clients, you need to constantly market yourself and prove your worth over other designers.
- Learn your work, make sure that you know what you are talking about and present yourself secure of your designs
- Use social media, social media is an amazing tool to promote your services, showcase your projects and meet other freelancers.
- Develop creative business cards, marketing material; use your talents in favor of your marketing material
These are basic ideas you can use in the launch of your new freelance career. Can you suggest some other ideas?