Graphic design is a field in constant change, both creatively and technically. It can be easy to get caught up in learning new technical skills, but it is just as important to focus improving and pushing the limits of our creativity.
As Designers we need to make a point to continue educating ourselves as much as possible and become more active in the field of design. Here are a few tips, exercises and practices that have help me continue learning, strengthen my creativity and become an all around better designer.
- Collect, collect, collect – Collect designs that inspires you. File them away and wait…they will turn into a great source of inspiration when needed. (if you cant’ take it home, use your phone and take tons of pictures)
- Read Graphic Design blogs – Take advantage of the web and search for Designer’s Blogs, they can be an easy source of information and update for every designer.
- Start a Design Blog – It makes you more aware of the Design Community and more accountable of your own work.
- Fake projects, why not? – If you find yourself with some downtime (hope is not much), create some fake projects. Develop a brand, create a logo, stationary and design marketing material for this brand. This will let your creativity run without limitations, It’s easy to get caught in a routine when clients dictate and your work is no longer “yours”.
- Do it again – What goes through your mind when you see your first designs? Exactly, that’s what I figured. Once in a while redo your old designs, analyze what you did wrong and experiment with your new knowledge.
Being a Graphic Designer is a work in process, if you are committed to your career and to develop your designing style you will be successful. It takes time, patience and lots of mistakes in order to improve your designing techniques.
What is your key to stimulate your creativity and improve your designs?