The Marriage of Content &; Technology in 2013 &; Beyond

Smartphone DeviceLet’s lead in with a fact shall we?  The Online Publishers Association (OPA) research has found that 57 % of technology users time is spent accessing content via the mobile Web, while the remaining 43 % is spent accessing content via apps.  Wow, one wonders what the future of PC’s will be at those increasing rates of usage of mobile devices in a manner that was once relegated to PC’s. Don’t bother pondering too long because according to Peter Thompson’s recent article it has been predicted that during 2013, mobile devices will overtake PCs as the most common technology to access the Internet.  That means smartphones & handheld device content will remain hand-in-hand and maintain quite the profitable marriage this coming year.

What it Looks Like
Based on the statistics above, the mobile device viewing of web content is growing at astronomical rates. Because of this, mobile operating systems and device specific websites require optimized content and high-quality imagery resolution for smartphone & tablet users.  So most web designers and content writers are trading in their traditional methods of web marketing (including HTML sites) and traveling down the aisle with other tools on their arms such as WordPress and SEO-rich platforms.

Entertainment Content
Now a days, “infotainment” (which is information-based media content or programming that also includes entertainment content in an effort to enhance popularity with audiences and consumers) is a premier reason enhanced mobile devices screen resolutions need to be what iPad with Retina display has achieved for games, music and video.  And just when you thought that was a match made in heaven, Chris Yewdall informed us that coming in 2015, software & mobile device giants like Samsung & HTC are releasing 3D phones that will not only enable consumers to shoot 3D content but to consume 2D content in 3D.  AND to watch the converted 3D content on their TV’s.  All of this innovations help us escape from the daily grind and enhance users experience.

  Entertainment on Mobile Devices

Free Apps
Although most weddings cost a fortune, when it comes to espousal of apps & mobility, cost-free remains the key to our hearts.  Many note that with the current economy, customers are increasingly on the hunt for free apps. Recent statistics show that Android free apps will continue to outnumber free iPhone apps into 2013. According to DISTIMO, a leader in app analytics, there are now more free apps available for Google’s mobile OS than the iPhone.

Distimo Free Apps Chart

Online ShoppingPurchase Power On The Go
After honeymoon bliss, couples go about the business of daily living and with most of our time spent on the go, our lives require mobile purchasing power.  The ability to make purchases when the customer is “on the go” requires mobilized versions of websites that are fully functional but with quick and easy purchasing directives. Vivid imagery & engaging content are required to move the consumer from enticed to committed buying making on-device purchasing easy & effective.

Jumping the Broom with Cars?
Getting hitched on the physical & technological mobility bandwagon, Hyundai is taking us to another level!  Ready for release in 2015, this car manufacturer will be coupling smartphone technology with their vehicles via the  Hyundai Connectivity Concept.  This new innovation is designed to wirelessly mirror the contents of your smartphone directly within your vehicle.  By 2015, Hyundai says it can replace a conventional key fob with the consumers’ smartphone to lock/unlock doors by placing it over the NFC (Near Field Communications) sticker on the window or door.  Inside, the smartphone is placed in a docking station within the center console where it activates the user’s profile & streams content to a touchscreen that displays all of the user’s music, radio stations and phone contacts.  It can even control the navigation and various other on-board infotainment and telematics systems.  Yes all that while recharging the phone’s battery wirelessly. And here’s the real gift of this technology and user interface nuptial, multiple users and their individual smartphones can access the same car in the same way.

So there you are folks…technology wed to content equals blissful & entertaining engagement for us.

2 replies
    • ybarber
      ybarber says:

      Hi Jason – thank you for reading my blog and appreciating the content of it. We are constantly evolving as a technologically-driven nation and am aware that we don’t have much choice embracing it because it drives so much of our consumable content-at work, home, restaurants, EVERYWHERE! As I am typing this response, I just saw a commercial for TurboTax’s new app for Smartphone devices. Point in case!

Comments are closed.